Old School

The old school was maintained where the Church car park now stands as a two roomed school until 1943  when a new school was built up the road where it stands to this day.  School records show that a great variety of children were transferred to Craanford school down through the years.  Some of the locations from which pupils came from include; Gorey, Monaseed, Ballyellis, Waterford, Arklow, Clonegal, Templerainey, Riverchapel, Camolin, Cabinteely, St. Andrews, Liverpool, Ballyduff, Carnew, Enniscorthy, Barndarrig, Courtnacuddy, Tara Hill, St. Peters, Marshlstown, Clonmore, Kings Inn St. Dublin, Dalkey and Baggot Street, Dublin.  Reference:  Old roll books stored in the present day primary school.  Like all schools Craanford did go through a crisis in pupil numbers between 1908 /1910.  The means to remedy this and to hold onto teachers would be considered drastic.  Children were brought from Waterford orphanage in order to boost numbers.  Twelve boys came in total over the three year period.  It is thought that only two girls came.

Miss Flusk – Old School

Miss Flusk was a living saint in Craanford in the early 1900’s.  Miss Flusk travelled every day to school on her bicycle from Glandoran protected by oilskins on from the rain.  She attended the schools’ daily Mass.  Mrs Buckstown Doyle left a flash and some bread into school to nourish the saintly women.  Being the women she was she often shared her meal with hungry children.

The Lourdes Grotto in the church grounds was erected to her memory.  She declined any offer of a presentation for her work in the school.  The old school was where the current church car park is now.  The toilets were built over the lane on the left hand side of the graveyard.  The school was operated as two schools – one side was for the girls and the other side was for the boys.  The boys played on the road and the girls in the yard.

The schools were amalgamated in 1928 / 1929

When the old school was vacated in 1943 it was not left idle.  It became the centre of activities in Craanford.

The present day school

The school was newly reopened by John Browne TD in 2005.   There was an extension built in 2008.  The school consists of one P.E hall, one staff room, eight classrooms, two learning support rooms and one office / computer room.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.

Free Joomla templates by L.THEME